Thursday, June 7, 2012

30 Days No Make-up: Day 7

Wow! It's been 7 days already. Although I am missing wearing make-up a little bit, I am also enjoying having extra time in the mornings and not pondering whether or not to throw on some make-up before heading out the door for this or that. Extra time to spend with the Lord, my kiddos or my hubby. That's definitely a worth while trade off!

I don't think it's a mere coincidence that before I went to sleep last night a little "Devotion for Mom's" book that I haven't picked up in probably over a year caught my eye on my night stand. It's a very quick little read, 2 minutes or less, so I grabbed it before I closed my eyes and headed for dream land. As I finished it up I smiled as I was reminded that this is just so the character of the Lord. The devotion fit perfectly into this 30 day challenge and even more so with what I've been learning this week.

Let me share...

In the devotion, the writer is talking about Sparrows. They're a sweet little bird but there's tons of them. So, to the majority of people, it's just another bird. A dime a dozen, or as this person puts it, worth only pennies to some. However, upon further investigation, the writer discovered that there are 17 species of sparrows and beyond each one, 30 sub-species! And not only is each one not identical to the other in appearance but also in song. Not one of them ever sings the exact same song. Incredible.

As she progresses in her story she reminds her readers that we are each much more important to our maker than a sparrow. That He has created each of us so uniquely. Here's the part that grabbed me the most, pertaining to our challenge... " Too many times we judge our own worth by what we believe others think of us. That kind of thinking gets us into trouble because our value then depends on how we look, what we achieve, or how well we perform."

You and I, we were made so unique, not one like the other. We were made for greatness! Just like the sparrows, that greatness can look different from person to person, but trust me friend, you were made for more than hiding behind make-up, clothes or hollow achievements. What shadows are you hiding behind today that you need to step out from behind. Stepping into the "marvelous light" we talked about yesterday.

Today can be the day, if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment